Friday, January 18, 2013

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I never thought much of Martin Luther King, Jr. day until I was a teacher.  I always knew who he was and what he did, but it wasn't until I started teaching it to others that I felt the true magnitude of his life.

Here's some of the free resources I've found for teaching about MLK jr.

First Grade W.O.W. has a great unit:

I also really like the Just or Unjust activity from Elementary Matters' TpT store:

I also used the directed drawing freebie from Mrs. Miner's Kindergarten:

I actually used the directed drawing to go with my writing time with the first and second graders.  We read about MLK, watched this video clip: 

And then wrote about Martin Luther King, Jr.  We put our writing together with a light and dark skin hand-print and our drawing.  The students were AH-mazed that they could draw Martin!

We finished up by watching a clip from his speech:
 

I'm so excited to try Fun in K/1's idea about the making a cake with a white egg or brown egg.  If you go to their TpT store, you can download the preview of their product which includes instructions, a recipe, and a Venn diagram.



Need more?

Here's the link to BrainPop's video about Martin Luther King, Jr. 

First Grade Fanatics put together a great packet for MLK Day.  Check it out:


Here's another video called "My Friend Martin"  I haven't previewed it yet, but it's supposed to be really good.




If you don't have the book Martin's Big Words, here's a great video of it:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment